Windows 7 PC
Windows 10 PC
Apple Mac OS
Ensure Antivirus is up to date
See this list for updated antivirus programs
IWDA and Wateraid use:
- Windows Defender - ensure updated through Windows Defender user interface
- MalwareBytes - ensure updated through MalwareBytes update
Other Antivirus apps may need a manual modification to the registry, outlined here:
Download OS patches to central server
Rather than having each machine download their own copy of the patches, we download them to a central server so they can be distributed from there.
Note: Server folder needs to be one that is synchronized to remote locations
- Windows 7: http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4056897
- Windows 10: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4056892/windows-10-update-kb4056892 - there are PCs in PNG from memory upgraded to Windows 10.
- Apple: Download High Sierra with these instructions: https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT201475
- Apple: Download patches: Perform download instructions above for additional patches, save to central server.
- Windows Server - updates available through Windows Update on these machines.
Download Dell patches to central server
Dell has specific firmware patches to download for each of the laptop and desktop computers. Laptops are mainly in generation E727X
Note: Server folder needs to be one synchronized to remote locations
Ensure computer is backed up
Tell users to back up anything they really need to their Private Drives. Probably send at least one reminder during the day.
Install firmware updates
This step applies only to Dell computers.
Recommend this is performed out of hours
Install OS updates
- Login to each machine
- Browse to the update folder
- Run update